Thursday, April 27, 2006

Textiles: Lessons from an old Blue Quilt - Part 2


What I remember from using this quilt as a child was noticing several things in the design.

1. There weren't many picture fabrics, but I used to look at these tiny animals.


2. The maker had used the same fabric for several hexagon rosettes, but she'd picked out a different colour from the patterned fabric to use in the centre, and she'd chosen different areas of the design to maximise the amount of the chosen colour.
*** Blogger is back to its old tricks. I've had 3 goes at putting up pictures, and this is the only one it will actually upload. I will try to finish off this entry when I've got the time and the patience. This is enough for tonight. Grrrr. ***

3. She'd sometimes had to mix her fabrics within a rosette.

4. Where she'd used striped or checked fabric, she'd made it into a pattern in the rosette.

5. And I just remember the joy of seeing how she'd used a plain colour to harmonise with a patterned fabric.
When I made my own patchwork 15 years later, these things informed my choices and my designs. I'm hoping to do the same for the little girl who will get the I-spy quilt. I want her to enjoy looking at the quilt and to learn about colour and design at the same time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home